Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tuesday - Meatballs and More at Anthony's Runway 84

This morning... watermelon. Then, more watermelon.

Later, I cut up some Yellow Squash, added spices, and nuked it.

I offered some to Larry, Gordon and John before I took the picture, but I ate what you see above.

Around 3:00, I had 5 ounces of Turkey Breast Roll-Ups.

Frozen Grapes!!!!

Lonnise and I went to Anthony's Runway 84 for dinner tonight. They are old-school New York Italian, and they're really good at it. They've been there since 1982; in fact, Anthony is the same Anthony that now has the chain of Coal Fired Pizza restaurants all around Broward County. I don't think they've changed anything in their 30+ years, except maybe the prices.

The place was just about full on a Tuesday night. We get the next-to-last table in the dining room, sit down, and order.

Just sitting at the table at Anthony's gets you two plates full of food: A mess of Mussels in Red Sauce and a Salad. Because we're both trying to watch what we eat, I only ordered us one extra appetizer to split... the Meatballs.

First, they brought out the Mussels and the Meatballs.

The white stuff on the right is ricotta cheese
We each had a Meatball, and -- Lucky Me! -- Lonnise doesn't like Mussels. So I finished them off.

At Anthony's, even the house salad is interesting. I forgot that the dressing is pretty oily, so I didn't ask for the dressing on the side. I did my best not to sop up the salad in the dressing, but I probably took in more than I wanted to.
Lettuce, tomato, hard-boiled egg, salami, olive, onion, cheese, green pepper... all the food groups.
For my main dish, I ordered the Chicken Al. This was a half of a chicken on the bone, cut up and cooked with potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, some oil, and a mess of spices. The plate had a ton of (delicious) food.
Chicken Al
The photo doesn't do it justice. I left my camera in the car, so we only have cell phone photos. I also ordered a side dish of broccoli rabe.

Broccoli Rabe is very prevalent in Italian restaurants, at least the ones that Phil & Loretta took me to when I was a kid in Brooklyn. It's known as Rapini in Europe, and it closely resembles collard/turnip/something greens. They saute it in (of course) oil and garlic, and it is delicious.

In a development that no one saw coming, I left over half of my Chicken Al, and I took that and the remaining Broccoli Rabe home with me to have for Lunch tomorrow.
The rarest photo in the entire Blogesphere -- Rich's leftovers.
Lonnise ordered the Rigatoni Bolognese. That was no surprise, as she chooses pasta with Meat Sauce often when we eat at an Italian restaurant. She said it was very good, and also took home a lot of it for tomorrow. Anthony's serves large portions.
Close Up!
Digging in!
We passed on dessert, but we both ordered Cappuccinos.

The food and the service at Anthony's is always excellent. They are not giving away their food, not by any means, but when you factor in the Mussels and the Salad, along with portions large enough to make a second meal, the pricing is somewhat softened. If we had skipped he meatballs and the coffee drinks, we could have knocked $20 off the total. It would have still been plenty of delicious food, and virtually a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!