Friday, August 22, 2014

Lima Day 8: I'll Have Some of That... and That... and That.

Jueves, 21 Agosto

I took a walk to Barranco for Breakfast. On the way, I passed a cart with Empanadas. I happen to be a big fan, so I bought one.

I was headed to La Espiga de Oro Why was I going there? Well, one of my Peruvian Facebook friends did a check-in there. I looked it up, and it was a Bakery... a perfect place for Breakfast and as good as a face-to-face recommendation. If Luis was eating there, it was good enough for me.

He was right. The menu was simple, and I chose a Ham & Cheese Empanada, a Pastel de Acelga, and a Cafe con Leche.


The Pastel de Acelga is -- as far as I can tell -- a Spinach-like Quiche-like thing, except it's not a Quiche, and I don't think that Acelga is Spinach. But it's close, and it is very good. The Ham & Cheese Empanada (Empanada Mixto) was Outstanding.

Later, for Lunch, I hoofed it over to Oh! Calamares. This place used to be in the hood. Last trip, Ed and I went there, only to find that they were gone. A Google search showed that they have Moved on Up, and were in a much nicer neighborhood.

I'm glad that they're still in business. This place is famous for it's Tallarin con Pescado Saltado, which is Spaghetti with stir-fried chunks of Fish with Onions and Tomatoes. The classic Peruvian dish is Lomo Saltado, which replaces the Fish with Beef and it is served over French Fries. Here' they mix it with the Spaghetti.


I started with a Parihuela (Seafood Soup). I love Soup, but the waitress downsold me to the smaller bowl, seeing as how I was having the second dish.


I *know* that the smaller Soup was the right choice, but any time I am face with More or Less Soup, I like to err on the side of More.

Then my Main Dish arrived.

I chose the option that had both Calamari and Fish in the Mix. I ate all of the Fish and Calamari, and probably half of the Pasta.

On the way home from Lunch, I stopped in Starbucks to use their wi-fi (password: Expresso2014), and I made a new friend, Scott. Scott is an American, and he seemed lost as to the things he could do in town. We agreed to meet later for Dinner.

We were both right on time, and once I determined that he was willing to be a little adventuresome, we headed over to Grimenesa Vargas Anticuchos.

Anticuchos are Grilled, Marinated Beef Hearts on a stick. Grimenesa is the undisputed Queen of Anticuchos. She has a tiny store that sells three things: Beef Hearts (you can buy 2 or 3 sticks), Corn, and Soda.

We both chose three sticks, and I had a Corn as well.

After, we took a taxi to Barranco, and went to a random Taberna.

A 'Taberna:" is literally, a Tavern. In Peru, these are old-time bars where people go to have a nice quiet drink, maybe a sandwich or something, and shoot the bull. There's no music blasting, they're not pick-up spots, just an old-school bar. They're very popular, and are filled with men and women of all ages.

I ordered a Han and Cheese Sandwich, and Scott had a 'piqueo' of Cubed Cheese, Ham and Olives.


We talked for a while, explored a couple more places, and then split up for the night.

When I got home, I had some Frozen Grapes.

Here's my steps for the day... my most ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!