Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lima Day 6: Rice. Seafood. More Rice. More Seafood.

Martes, 19 Agosto

Before getting down to work, I went for a walk in the morning and wound up at a random bakery, so I bought a Tamale, two Rolls and a Cafe con Leche, and I made Tamale Sandwiches for Breakfast.

On the way back, I had to pick up some laundry detergent, and the colmado had the Dollar Chicken Salad Sandwiches that I so love. I ate that back at the house.

I met my friend Jose Antonio for Lunch. He tried to find a place that I hadn't been to, so as to add to the knowledge base here in the Blog. We met at Parque Kennedy and walked over to Yamakawa.

No, I have never been there. Yes, I have enjoyed meals in the restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR and have seen the crowds, but never tried it. He recommended tha Tacu Tacu and told me that they were famous for it. Who was I to question it?

We started out with an order of Choros a la Chalaca.

These are Mussels topped with Chopped Onion, a little spicy Pepper and some other spices.

I ordered a Tacu Tacu covered with Mariscos (Seafood), but first I had my favorite thing of all favorite things, Parihuela.

I may have mentioned somewhere that I love Soup. This Seafood Soup is an excellent example why.

Our Tacu Tacus then arrived.


Tacu Tacu is a Rice and Bean patty, usually used as a Food Delivery Device. Mine was covered with Seafood, and in an exciting twist, Jose Antonio's was stuffed with Seafood. Here's a closeup of his.

While we were eating, there were people lining up for tables. There's no better recommendation.

A little later, I was wandering the street, and I stopped and had a cup of Arroz con Leche (Rice Pudding), mixed with Mazmorra Morada (a Jello-like item made from Purple Corn). As always, it hit the spot.

I met up with my Alex for Dinner. He's a great guy, but he just hates taking Blog photos. He does it anyway, which just goes to show how great a guy he is.

We wound up at a restaurant that I stumbled on while web surfing called El Sotano. It is technically in Surco, but right on the Miraflores border. The amazing part is that it is on a big street with lots of restaurants, stores, things to do, etc. And yet, I didn't know this area even existed. There's a zillion of these areas here... you can be just about anywhere and never go more then 10 blocks and pretty much have all you need.

We munched on some Chips while we waited for our Appetizers.

Our first courses arrived. I had Onion Soup, and Alex had some Grilled Octopus.


Everything = excellent.

For our main courses, I decided that having Rice with Seafood for Lunch wasn't enough, so I ordered El Sotano's version of it as well. There's was a little, er, different. There's a Meat dish here that is called Panchamanca. It's a bunch of different Meats buried and cooked under rocks in a hole in the ground with some different Vegetables and spices that are usually just used for that. Well, in El Sotano, they do a Rice and Seafood that has the Spices and Vegetables from the Panchamanca. It cmes in a little crock, and the waitress removes a rock from the crock to make it seem like it cooked underground.


Alex had Steak in an Anticucho Sauce. Anticuchos are the Beef Hearts on a stick that they eat around here. They also have their own Sauce. This place is apparently big on combining flavors.

Alex thinks that if he makes funny faces, I won't put him in the Blog. "Ha!," I say.

We both cleaned our plates and passed on Dessert.

That was it. Here's my steps. There were a lot of them.

1 comment:

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!