Wednesday, August 16, 2017

LIMA DAY 5: Lonnise Shows Up

Tuesday, August 16, 2017

A pretty long way to come for a Bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup
It's really convenient having a Coffee Shop less than five feet from your front door. Today's Breakfast was a Turkey Sandwich with That Spanish Cheese That Doesn't Melt.

I swear, they put this in a press and the Cheese was still the same. You can put this stuff in Omelets, on top of hot Food... anywhere. Doesn't melt. Ask your friendly neighborhood Latino about "Queso Fresco"; they will confirm it for you.

Alex came and picked me up for Lunch. We went to a new (to us) place that I had stumbled upon on the Internet: Maiz Cocina de Raiz. We find it, and it is literally in a hole in the wall next to a copy shop and other non-restaurant type places. The lesson here is: Don't let looks deceive you.

The food was excellent. And it was creative. And, for the care that they put into the dishes, not too expensive.

They started us with some Finger Food (I didn't catch what it was), and then I asked for a Ceviche of mixed Fish and Octopus.


It was very, very good.

For our Main Courses, I ordered the Baby Pig, and Alex had the Grilled Octopus.


The Pig was wonderful and tender. The stuff that looked like Potatoes tasted more like Applesauce, and I am sure that it wasn't one of those; I've known them all these years.

Alex's Octopus was cut into pieces, mixed with Chimichurri and Vegetables, and placed on some Pepian, which is also kind of like Mashed Potatoes, but made out of Corn. It tasted nothing like my Not Applesauce.

I will return here. Hopefully, they will create a following and remain open. It is off the beaten path, and the passers-by aren't the people who usually drop this kind of money on Lunch. The three dishes were around US$9 to $13 each. That's a great value for me, but they need a bigger following to keep them open.

Lonnise's plane was arriving late at night, so for what would have been Dinner, I polished off the leftover Chicken from Sunday.

Luis and I went to the Airport to meet her plane, and she successfully negotiated her way through Immigration and Customs, rolled out her bag, and announced that she was hungry.

We headed towards the apartment and stopped at Que Rico, a 24-hour Chicken Noodle Soup joint. We ket it simple, ordering three Caldo de Gallinas (Chicken Noodle Soup) and went at it.


It was late, we headed home, Lonnise got situated in her apartment, and we both headed off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!