Wednesday, August 23, 2017

LIMA DAY 11: Adios, Peru. For now.

Monday, August 21, 2017
Bertha and Lonnise pose with a photographic representation of
Sonia, a Flounder, Fredy and an unidentified woman

I was really busy Monday morning, so I just went next door to the Coffee Shop and asked them to give me my Latte to go, and I drank it in the apartment.

Bertha met us at Lunch time, and we took a taxi to Sonia Restaurant in Chorrillos. Sonia is arguably the first Cevicheria in Lima, and the patriarch, Fredy, is widely credited with inventing some dishes that are now served everywhere.

The place is on a side street, with no sign, except one hanging from an inside building. You have to knock on an anonymous garage door to get in.




Bertha and I have taste buds that could be twins. We split a Ceviche de Conchas Negras (Black Clams), Scallops Parmesan, and Some Grilled Octopus.






Lonnise saw one of her new favorite dishes on the menu: Chupa de Camarones (Shrimp Soup).

She did those Shrimps some serious justice.

On the way out, the girls saw that Fredy was hanging out, keeping an eye on the goings-on. He took a picture with Lonnise.
That's the REAL Fredy this time

Back at the apartment, Bertha went to the Bakery to get some stuff 'for her family' -- she says. I took the opportunity to get a Brownie.

Our flight was scheduled to leave just around midnight. We had our farewell Dinner at Tanta in the airport. In a development that no one should find shocking, Tanta is pretty great.

I had a Pastel de Choclo and a Tacu Tacu a lo Pobre.


The Pastel is a Corn-based thing containing two levels of Corn Bread/Corn Cake sandwiched around some Beef, Raisins, an Olive, and spices. Much, much better than it sounds.

My Main Course was a Rice and Beans patty topped with a flat, Breaded and Fried Steak. The 'a lo Pobre' part includes the Fried Egg and The Fried Plantain. I added some Hot Sauce.

Lonnise was super-full after a week of hanging out with me, so she just had a Ham and Cheese Sandwich.


That was pretty much it. Our plane boarded on time, and now... back home.

1 comment:

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!