Wednesday, December 20, 2017

LIMA DAY 8: A Well-Rounded Selection. And a Well-Rounded Writer

Monday, December 18, 2018
You're welcome to try some Pastel de Choclo. You just can't try MINE.

I really didn't get started until Lunch time, and I was hungry, so I didn't get very far.

About 100 steps from my apartment is a literal hole in the wall called My Chilindro.

I pass them all the time, and they are always crowded. Things sometimes get cooked here in Peru "Al Cilindro." Basically, cooking that way smokes them in a big old metal barrel. Here's some pictures I got from Google; they explain it a little better.
 
 
Anyway, they had a 12 Sol (just under $4) Lunch Special. I chose the Tequenos and then the Chancho Saltado con Tallarines (Stir-fried Pork with Noodles).
 
Later, I picked up my new glasses and on the way home, stopped at Chicharroneria Lurin for a Sandwich.
 
 
In the world of Peruvian Food, 'Chicharron' means a lot of different things. In this case, it refers to a Pork Sandwich with some Camote (Sweet Potato). I ordered some Chicha Morada (Purple Corn Juice) to go with it.

Alex and I had plans for Dinner. We met at Panchita, where everything is always wonderful.

We started with the Bread selection, and then shared Appetizers of Pastel de Choclo and Anticucho de Pulpo.
 
 
If this sounds slightly familiar, it is because, well, it is. The Pastel is ground and Seasoned Corn on top of a mix of Beef and Spices. And it is a million times better than I just described it. The Pulpo is Octopus on Stick that has been marinated and then Grilled. Alex has been eating this stuff his entire life and he likes Octopus as much as or more than I do. He could not get over how wonderful Panchita makes their Pulpo.

For our Main Courses, I had the Lomo Saltado con Tacu Tacu and Alex had Suprema de Pollo.

The Lomo Saltado is stir-fried Beef strips with Onions and Tomatoes, in this case served over a Rice and Bean Patty. Alex' Meal was a Grilled Chicken Breast (he is eating very gingerly lately).

Both of us were only able to eat half of our servings. We needed to save room for Dessert.
That's Queso Helado. We've covered this before. It looks like Ice Cream, but it kicks regular Ice Cream's butt up and down the street.


Alex and I debated whether to drive ourselves to the hospital for Food overdoses, but we chose to just go home instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome. Click on the picture to read all about my day. Subscribe to the Blog! Just like eating with me, but less calories!